Chocolate Cannoli Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cold brewed coffee
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cold brewed coffee
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a small bowl, combine the egg white, ricotta cheese, sugar, coffee and orange zest. Stir in chocolate chips; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight batter ingredients; beat until well blended. Combine the flours, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended.
- Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with heaping tablespoonfuls of ricotta mixture; cut through batter with a knife to swirl.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 213 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 18, 2017
I'm rating it as looking devilishly delicious. Canola oil is very bad for you, I was wondering if I could swap it with coconut oil or avocado oil? Anyone try to substitute stevia for the sugar? Can't wait to make this this week.
Mar 9, 2014
This cake was just a little too moist and the ricotta mixture sank to the bottom. Weird.
Jul 20, 2011
the family loved it!!! personally, i thought the smell was quite odd however
Mar 21, 2011
This was very easy to make. I substituted Kahlua for the coffee and it was delicious! My whole family really likes this cake. Next time I will add some chocolate chips and walnuts to the cake batter.
Mar 8, 2011
The cake is better a day or two later. Wonderfully moist. I added some icing made of lemon juice and powder sugar and drizzled on top. It's a keeper.
Feb 24, 2011
This is delicious and so easy to make.
Feb 24, 2011
I made this cake this week and it is delicious. I will make it again.
Feb 24, 2011
This was absolutely delicious! I made it a second time and used equal amts the reg. flour and the whole wheat flour with great results!
Feb 20, 2011
This cake was just too rich for us. I substituted Kahlua for the coffee in the ricotta mixture, so maybe that is what made it too rich. I will not be making this again.
Feb 19, 2011
Thank you for the suggestions to use instead of the orange zest and orange juice. I can't wait to make this cake