- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup rye flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in orange peel and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk remaining ingredients; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Shape level tablespoons of dough into balls; place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are light brown. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in airtight containers. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews forButtery Orange Sugar Cookies
"A delicious & easy cookie! Had to make a few changes to it, though. I used only all-purpose white flour. You do need to add one egg to the butter & sugar mixture because the dough was too dry. (I'd wonder about the absence of an egg!) Also, I rolled the dough into 1" balls & then used a glass dipped in sugar to lightly press them. And, DO NOT let them sit on the pan for 2 minutes! I had to put my air-bake pans back in the oven to get hot so I could get them off easily! Delicious, crispy cookies with a wonderful orange flavor."
"Where in the world do you find rye flour and why is that kind necessary for a cookie??"
"These sound delicious. Do the balls flatten out when baking? I'm worried about having nice, crispy cookies."