- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 medium pears, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Balsamic vinegar and snipped chives, optional
- Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 40-50 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly; scoop out pulp and set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the curry, garlic, ginger and salt; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, pears and squash. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan; add cream and heat through. Top with balsamic vinegar and chives if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews forButternut Squash & Pear Soup
"this was a good soup, however the seasoning level needed to be kicked up a notch."
"This soup was absolutely delicious before I put the heavy cream in, but afterwards it was just good. I think the cream takes away from the flavor, but it didn't do me from going back for more. I won't add it next time. I'm not sure about the balsamic vinegar either. ..I could take it or leave it."
"Outstanding!!! One of our favorite soups. I use 1/2 & 1/2 instead of the cream."
"Absolutely amazing! The pears and butternut squash merry very well!"
"This soup was FANTASTIC! I didn't have fresh ginger on hand either so I used dried. I have to say, the balsamic is an excellent touch."
"Made the recipe according to directions...omitted the balsamic & chives. Creamy texture was fabulous. shared the recipe and samples with four friends. All said they LOVED IT! They shared the recipe too! must try recipe."