- 3 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk, divided
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 unbaked pastry shells (9 inches each)
- 1 cup chopped pecans, optional
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, flour and 3/4 cup buttermilk. Add eggs and remaining buttermilk; mix well. Stir in the butter and vanilla. Divide evenly among pie shells. Top with pecans if desired.
- Bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 25-30 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews forButtermilk Pie
"I adjusted this recipe by using 1/2 the sugar: 3/4 cup EACH packed brown and 3/4 cup white sugar. I DID use 6 Tbsp. all-purpose flour,3 eggs, 1/4 cup EACH butter/margarine, melted, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. EACH almond extract and vanilla extract, 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, 3/4 cup each semi-sweet chocolate chunks and sweetened flaked coconut, 1/8 cup all-purpose flour which I mixed with the coconut, chocolate chunks and pecans and about 3/4 cup finely chopped square small Snickers peanut butter bars. I soured a can (12-oz.) of evaporated milk with 1 Tbsp. 1/2 Tbsp. cider vinegar. I was able to fill the 2 pie shells with the beaten egg/milk/sugar mixture, then added the melted butter/margarine and extracts to the batter. I folded in the coconut/chocolate chunk/pecan/candy bar mixture with the 1/8 cup all-purpose flour. I placed filled pie shells on a large foil-covered baking sheet to catch drips. I baked 10 minutes on 425o F. oven tempt., reduced heat and baked 40 to 45 minutes at 350o F. or until a sharp paring knife OR table knife comes out clean.These pies looked lovely and baked up nicely! This is my buttermilk challenge for Cook's Corner! delowenstein"
"This was very good. I halved the recipe and only made 1 pie"
"this pie is awesome!!!"
"I make this pie for catering jobs...everyone loves it! and it is so simple to make"
"totally delicious...a keeper for sure :)"
"Very easy to make! My family loved it!"