“Boo” Berry Ghosts
Ghoulish treats cause quite a fright, but these strawberry cakes are so yummy they won't haunt you for long! —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 12 egg whites
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup strawberry preserves
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- 24 miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 12 brown M&M's minis
- Line two ungreased 18x13-in. baking pans with parchment paper. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Sift confectioners' sugar and flour together three times; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Add cream of tartar, vanilla and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/4 cup at a time.
- Gently spoon into prepared pans. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake 25-35 minutes or until golden brown on top. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Cut with a 4-in. ghost-shaped cookie cutter. Spread half of the cakes with preserves; top with remaining cakes. Place on wire racks over waxed paper.
- Transfer frosting to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high 20-30 seconds or until melted; stir until smooth. Spoon over cakes. Add chocolate chips for eyes and M&M's for mouths. Let stand until set.
Originally published as "Boo" Berry Ghosts in Ultimate Halloween Bookazine 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.