Brownie Haunted House
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules, optional
- 1-3/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Vanilla frosting
- Chocolate frosting
- Paste food coloring
- Assorted sprinkles
- Assorted candies
- Preheat oven to 325°. Line a 13x9-in. baking pan with foil, letting ends extend up sides. In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugars, butter, water and, if desired, coffee granules; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add chocolate chips and stir until melted. Cool slightly.
- Whisk eggs until foamy, about 3 minutes. Add vanilla; gradually whisk in chocolate mixture. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; stir into chocolate mixture.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake on a lower oven rack until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs (do not overbake), 30-40 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Lifting with foil, remove brownies from pan; let cool completely. Discard foil. Cut off corners of brownie to resemble a house. If desired, cut scraps into pumpkins and ghosts using cookie cutters. Tint frosting as desired with paste food coloring. Decorate brownie house with frosting and candies.
Nutrition Facts1 brownie: 293 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 196mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 16, 2016
I made this with my kids this morning. We LOVED it! The brownies are the perfect texture. They are dense and fudgy, and they are soooo chocolaty. We're bringing to a gathering tonight and I'm sure it will be a huge hit with everyone!