Brownie Haunted House
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules, optional
- 1-3/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Vanilla frosting
- Chocolate frosting
- Paste food coloring
- Assorted sprinkles
- Assorted candies
- Preheat oven to 325°. Line a 13x9-in. baking pan with foil, letting ends extend up sides. In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugars, butter, water and, if desired, coffee granules; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add chocolate chips and stir until melted. Cool slightly.
- Whisk eggs until foamy, about 3 minutes. Add vanilla; gradually whisk in chocolate mixture. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; stir into chocolate mixture.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake on a lower oven rack until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs (do not overbake), 30-40 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Lifting with foil, remove brownies from pan; let cool completely. Discard foil. Cut off corners of brownie to resemble a house. If desired, cut scraps into pumpkins and ghosts using cookie cutters. Tint frosting as desired with paste food coloring. Decorate brownie house with frosting and candies.
Nutrition Facts1 brownie: 293 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 196mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Oct 16, 2016
I made this with my kids this morning. We LOVED it! The brownies are the perfect texture. They are dense and fudgy, and they are soooo chocolaty. We're bringing to a gathering tonight and I'm sure it will be a huge hit with everyone!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.