Bomb Pop Cookies
The sound of the ice cream truck has even my husband running out to the curb with money in hand. Our neighborhood has a big potluck on the Fourth of July, so I decided to make cookies that resemble Bomb Pops. These were a big hit! —Darlene Brenden, Salem, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2-3/4 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Red and blue paste food coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon each cherry, raspberry and lemon extract
- Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add egg and oil, beating well. In another bowl, whisk 2-3/4 cups flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. Gradually beat into creamed mixture, adding flour if needed, until dough forms a ball.
- Divide dough into three portions. Add red food coloring and cherry extract to one portion. Add blue food coloring and raspberry extract to second portion. Add lemon extract to untinted portion.
- Shape each portion into a 10-in.-long block. Place red, white and blue logs side by side. Lightly press blocks together. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate 30 minutes or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. To create ridges, lightly press cookies with a fork. Bake 10-12 minutes or until set. Cool on pans 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 86 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 51mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as BOMB POP COOKIES in Taste of Home Summer 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.