Bomb Pop Cookies
The sound of the ice cream truck has even my husband running out to the curb with money in hand. Our neighborhood has a big potluck on the Fourth of July, so I decided to make cookies that resemble Bomb Pops. These were a big hit! —Darlene Brenden, Salem, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large Eggland's Best egg, room temperature
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2-3/4 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Red and blue paste food coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon each cherry, raspberry and lemon extract
- Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add egg and oil, beating well. In another bowl, whisk 2-3/4 cups flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. Gradually beat into creamed mixture, adding flour if needed, until dough forms a ball.
- Divide dough into 3 portions. Add red food coloring and cherry extract to one portion. Add blue food coloring and raspberry extract to second portion. Add lemon extract to untinted portion.
- Shape each portion into a 10-in.-long block. Place red, white and blue logs side by side. Lightly press blocks together. Wrap and refrigerate until firm, 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. To create ridges, lightly press cookies with a fork. Bake until set, 10-12 minutes. Cool on pans 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 86 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 51mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as BOMB POP COOKIES in Taste of Home Summer 2018