Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped fruit-flavored or spiced gumdrops
- 2 large egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream shortening and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in almond extract. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in gumdrops.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold into dough.
- Drop by level tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake until golden brown, 12-15 minutes. Cool 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 102 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 39mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 21, 2018
My husband loved them. Stated he was surprised but the flavors were wonderful!
Jun 23, 2017
The cookies have a wonderful flavor. During the Christmas season I use the red and green gumdrops. These bake up so nice.
Dec 1, 2012
These are a soft, chewy cookie that is very pretty on a tray. Be sure to add them to your X-mas cookie rotation!
Dec 24, 2010
These turned out so good! I was a little nervous when I starting trying to fold in the egg whites but they mixed in just fine. I didn't bother chopping the gumdrops.
Dec 27, 2009
Turned out way better than I thought they would - love them!
Dec 14, 2009
Made these last night and they are great! I used the Christmas spiced gumdrops. Would like to try it with the regular.
Dec 4, 2009
This is a delicious and easy cookie to make. I am excited to add it to my Christmas cookie list. Definately sharing this recipe with friends and family!!!
Sep 16, 2009
This cookie has been a holiday favorite from my childhood! So excited to see it. It's going in "My Recipe Box"! I love that almond extract is used. Yum!
Dec 13, 2008
Mmmmmmmmm! I have been CRAVING this kind of cookies...definitely going to be making them! :)