Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped fruit-flavored or spiced gumdrops
- 2 large egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream shortening and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in almond extract. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in gumdrops.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold into dough.
- Drop by level tablespoons 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake until golden brown, 12-15 minutes. Cool 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 102 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 39mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Jun 23, 2017
The cookies have a wonderful flavor. During the Christmas season I use the red and green gumdrops. These bake up so nice.
Dec 1, 2012
These are a soft, chewy cookie that is very pretty on a tray. Be sure to add them to your X-mas cookie rotation!
Dec 24, 2010
These turned out so good! I was a little nervous when I starting trying to fold in the egg whites but they mixed in just fine. I didn't bother chopping the gumdrops.
Dec 27, 2009
Turned out way better than I thought they would - love them!
Dec 14, 2009
Made these last night and they are great! I used the Christmas spiced gumdrops. Would like to try it with the regular.
Dec 4, 2009
This is a delicious and easy cookie to make. I am excited to add it to my Christmas cookie list. Definately sharing this recipe with friends and family!!!
Sep 16, 2009
This cookie has been a holiday favorite from my childhood! So excited to see it. It's going in "My Recipe Box"! I love that almond extract is used. Yum!
Dec 13, 2008
Mmmmmmmmm! I have been CRAVING this kind of cookies...definitely going to be making them! :)
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.