Summertime Fun Cookies
Use this basic sugar cookie recipe to make the perfect poolside treat. Kids (and adults) won't be able to get enough. —Coleen Walter, Bancroft, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 to 4 tablespoons hot water
- Blue food coloring
- Optional decorations: Bear-shaped crackers, fish-shaped graham crackers, Airheads candies, gummy sour rings, white sugar pearls and palm tree party picks
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in extracts and 1 egg at a time. In another bowl, whisk together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto parchment-lined baking sheets; flatten slightly with bottom of a glass dipped in sugar. Bake until edges begin to brown, 8-10 minutes. Remove from pan to wire racks; cool completely.
- For frosting, beat butter, confectioners' sugar, extract and enough water to reach desired consistency; tint blue with food coloring. Spread over cookies. Decorate as desired.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 174 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 107mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.