Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 1-1/2 dozen
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a bowl, beat sugar, oil, chocolate and vanilla until blended. Beat in egg. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture. Refrigerate, covered, 2 hours or until firm enough to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°. With sugared hands, shape dough into 1-in. balls; roll in confectioners' sugar. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until set. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 60 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 32mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 27, 2018
Delicious chocolaty goodness. I like that it makes a small batch since we are empty nesters. The dough was still fairly sticky after chilling but rolling it in the powdered sugar made a big difference. The cookies bake up chewy. My husband's favorite kind.
Nov 15, 2015
Very good cookie. I like that this had a small yield for my Christmas cookie tray. That way I won't have too many. I only got about 16 cookies but the balls I rolled out where about 1.25 in rather than 1 in.
Aug 1, 2015
Did not turn out right even though I followed recipe to a tee. Dough was runny and we couldn't form it into balls.... also didn't look like it would make 18 cookies. Looked like much less.
Dec 20, 2014
Great cookie, but this does not yield 18 cookies. I got 27 cookies when doubling the recipe.
Dec 4, 2014
Question: Is the amount of flour correct? Thanks!
Feb 28, 2014
This was my first time that I tried crackle cookies. They looked very nice and were tasty. When I make these again I will try different variations to these cookies possibly cinnamon. We enjoyed these with vanilla ice cream!
Nov 13, 2013
Oct 7, 2011
I made these for a Local Fair this year, and I took 2nd place in "Rolled Cookies" I was HAPPY. I will make these again this year for a Christmas Cookie Exchange I am having.
Oct 7, 2011
I made these for the Local Fair, and I took 2nd place in "rolled cookies"....I was HAPPY. Will make these for Christmas this year, as I am planning a Christmas Cookie Exchange
Jun 30, 2011
the amount of dough is not nearly enough to make the amount the recipe calls for unless you want tiny cookies.