Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the oil, sugars, egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to sugar mixture and mix well. Divide dough in half.
- On a greased baking sheet, shape each portion into a 15x3-in. rectangle about 3 in. apart. Sprinkle chocolate chips and nuts if desired over dough; press lightly.
- Bake at 375° for 6-7 minutes. (Bake for 8-9 minutes for crispier cookies.) Cool for 5 minutes. Cut with a serrated knife into 1-in. strips; remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 93 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 54mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 18, 2015
This is not a recipe that I would normally pick out to make but my 12 yr old son saw it in a cookbook and requested it. Was a little skeptical because of the oil. (By the way if you're that person that doesn't bake a lot and doesnt have fresh ingredients on hand these probably will taste awful as anything does made with old oil) beat the oil/egg/sugars for a bit. Shaped just as described and baked for 7 min and they came out very nice. We used all chips. White, semi-sweet, and butterscotch. Only thing I would recommend is put lots of chips on. These spead while baking and then they became rather sparse. I only got 2 dozen. With the ease of making them and the fact the kids like to put the chips on and they like the shape, I will probably make them again. Ha! Who knew?! ??
Dec 17, 2013
These tasted awful!
Nov 1, 2012
I'm a very experienced baker/food blogger. In concept, I really like the idea of cookie sticks, but I have to be completely honest and say this recipe makes the least flavorful chocolate chip cookies I've ever tasted. They're not bad, but they're not particularly tasty either. Must be the lack of butter. If I were to make them again (and that's a big if), I'd try to boost the flavor by doubling the vanilla.
Oct 15, 2012
These are delicious; you would never know they were not made with butter. I just shape them into cookies and bake for 8-10 minutes.
Aug 26, 2011
These were great, fast, and easy to make. I also liked that it took only one pan to bake all of them. The recipe using oil instead of butter worked well because we actually ran out of butter right before we were going to make these!!
Feb 23, 2011
Choc chip cookie sticks! Easy and yummy
Oct 30, 2010
im in high school and i brought these to school one day and i they were gone within 20 minutes! they satisfy your cravings and quick and easy to make!
Jan 16, 2010