Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 30 wooden pop sticks
- 1/3 cup green gumdrops, halved lengthwise
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder
- Green and orange paste or gel food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Beat in pumpkin. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well (dough will be soft).
- Drop dough by 2 tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased or parchment-lined baking sheets. Insert sticks into dough. Insert a gumdrop piece into the top of each for the pumpkin stem.
- Bake at 350° until set and lightly browned around the edges, 14-16 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For icing, in a large bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, meringue power and water until smooth. Remove 1/2 cup to another bowl; cover and set aside. Stir orange food coloring into remaining icing. Spread or pipe over cookies. Let stand for 30 minutes or until icing is set and dry.
- Tint reserved icing with green food coloring; use colored icing to pipe leaves and vines.
1 cookie: 147 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 88mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.