- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a shallow bowl, mix the first six ingredients. In a separate shallow bowl, whisk egg, milk and lemon juice until blended. Dip chicken in flour mixture to coat all sides; shake off excess. Dip in egg mixture, then again in flour mixture.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry chicken, a few pieces at a time, 6-10 minutes on each side or until golden brown and chicken juices run clear. Drain on paper towels. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forBest-Ever Fried Chicken
"I stuck to the recipe except for bumping up more of the seasonings and it came out not only looking gorgeous but very delicious! I used a deep fryer and fried chicken thighs without the skin/bone (more of a chicken fajita) and the breading "stayed" with the chicken. The hint of lemon was delicious! I'm not a home fried chicken person but this recipe has sold me on it."
"To JoanieK53, Why would you give a low rating to something you haven't even tried?That is unfair."
"This was excellent, I sprinkled a little extra salt , pepper and garlic powder lightly once I pulled it from the fryer."
"It was good. Next time I think I’ll add a tad bit more seasonings, but it was still good and crispy. The seasonings were a little bit of a tease ;)"
"To my mybubbarj1, "Well, duh, it's fried chicken!""
"I season the flour with Johnnys Seasoning or Lawrys and let the pieces "rest" for about 1 hour in the fridge.I use my deep fryer/cooker outside (propane). You cannot beat this recipe. If you want the pieces extra crispy l, redip in egg/milk mix and seasoned flour. YUMMY!!!"
"This is the recipe that I have found after years of trying to be the best and most reliable. I substitute Accent for the salt. From time to time I will use Dixie Fry chicken Seasoning mix instead of flour. Either way, Lola nailed it.If you have trouble getting the batter to stick, put battered chicken into the freezer for 15-20 min then go directly to the fryer.To change it up a little substitute pickle juice for the lemon juice."
"I had a chicken thawed to bake last night, then saw this recipe and tried it. It was the best ever. The chickens available to buy now are huge and flavorless. This recipe has seasons perfectly balanced with flavor to enhance the chicken flavor and reminded me of the ones we had in my childhood. VERY Good!"