Gram’s Fried Chicken
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min.
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups mashed potato flakes
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon each dried oregano, parsley flakes and minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- Oil for frying
- In a shallow bowl, whisk egg and milk. In another shallow bowl, toss potato flakes with seasonings. Remove half of the mixture and reserve (for a second coat of breading).
- Pound chicken with a meat mallet to 1/2-in. thickness. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then in potato mixture, patting to help coating adhere. Arrange chicken in an even layer on a large plate. Cover and refrigerate chicken and remaining egg mixture 1 hour. Discard remaining used potato mixture.
- In a 12-in. cast-iron or other deep skillet, heat 1/2 in. of oil over medium heat to 350°. For the second coat of breading, dip chicken in remaining egg mixture, then in unused potato mixture; pat to coat. Fry chicken 4-5 minutes on each side or until golden brown and chicken is no longer pink. Drain on paper towels.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken breast half : 469 calories, 28g fat (3g saturated fat), 121mg cholesterol, 269mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 38g protein.
Jan 9, 2018
This is going to be my go-to fried chicken recipe from now on. The double breading made a nice and crunchy coating the grandkids loved.
Jun 4, 2016
Sorry, this was the worst fried chicken recipe I have ever tried.
Jun 5, 2015
I make breaded chicken recipes all the time, with all different types of breading. It's normal for this process to be a little messy, but this recipe was way too messy, especially during the second breading. Dipping the chicken with mashed potato flakes back into the egg mixture seemed to wash most of the first layer off, and by the end, I had a bowl full of very thick, mushy egg wash. The finished product was definitely not worth all the effort.
Feb 27, 2015
This recipe was featured on Home and Family today. We love this recipe but (on the show) there was a dip that went with the chicken. Is there anyway I can get the dip recipe? Thanks for your help.
Feb 25, 2015
Quick, easy, tender and juicy. What's not to love?
Feb 11, 2015
A nice quick fried chicken! Outside was crispy & chicken stayed juicy!
Feb 10, 2015
We followed the recipe to a tee and were enthusiastic toward the outcome given the various seasonings that were joined with the potato flakes. However we found that the seasonings were not enough to overcome the blandness of the potato flakes. We make chicken schnitzel all the time and found this recipe to be quite "boring" by comparison.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.