Berry Pistachio Pie
My grandmother used to make this pie when I was a small child. A woman from Brooklyn gave her the recipe, but my grandmother could never remember the woman’s name or the name of the pie, comically dubbing it Lady from Brooklyn’s Pie. Feel free to use any flavored gelatin, or try walnuts or pecans instead of pistachios. I use a store-bought graham cracker crust, but you can also use a chocolate graham cracker crust. —Judy DeGrottole, New York, New York
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 package (3 ounces) lemon gelatin
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 1 carton (12 ounces) whipped topping, divided
- 3/4 cup pistachios, chopped
- One 10-inch graham cracker crust (about 9 ounces)
- 1-1/2 cups fresh strawberries, quartered
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- Additional chopped pistachios
- In a large bowl, add boiling water to gelatin; stir 2 minutes to completely dissolve. Stir in cold water, lemon zest and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Refrigerate, covered, until almost firm, 1-1/2-2 hours.
- Fold 2 cups whipped topping into gelatin. Beat until smooth, 1-2 minutes. Fold in pistachios. Transfer to crust. Refrigerate, covered, at least 4 hours.
- To serve, spread 1-1/2 cups whipped topping over gelatin mixture. Toss berries with remaining lemon juice; spoon over pie. Sprinkle with coconut and, if desired, additional pistachios. Serve with remaining whipped topping.
Editor's Note: To prepare a homemade graham cracker crust, toss 2 cups graham cracker crumbs and 1/3 cup sugar with 1/2 cup melted butter. Press onto bottom and up sides of an ungreased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Bake in a preheated 375° oven until lightly browned, 9-11 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack before filling.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 345 calories, 18g fat (9g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 217mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Brooklyn Berry Pie in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2018