Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 85 minutes
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds beef sirloin tip roast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 cups finely chopped sweet onion
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1 carton (32 ounces) beef broth
- 4 cups fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups (about 10 ounces) frozen corn
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- Additional salt and pepper, optional
- Corn bread, biscuits or crusty round loaf of bread, optional
- In a Dutch oven or stockpot, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Season beef with salt and pepper; brown in batches, adding oil as needed. Remove with a slotted spoon. Add onion and sweet potatoes to pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent and light golden brown.
- Meanwhile, puree tomatoes and their juices in a blender or food processor. Place thyme and rosemary on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose herbs; tie securely with string.
- Return beef to pan; add herb bag, tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until meat and potatoes are tender, about 1 hour.
- Add green beans, corn, chocolate and coffee, stirring until well blended. Discard herb bag. If desired, add salt and pepper and serve with bread of choice.
1-1/3 cups: 260 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 792mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.Originally published as Beefy Sweet Potato Soup in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2018Read Next
More from Taste of Home