Beef Tenderloin with Pomegranate Chutney
When I want to show family and friends some culinary love, I roast a tenderloin and serve it with a sweet-tart pomegranate and apple chutney. —Devon Delaney, Westport, Connecticut
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 beef tenderloin roast (3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 pomegranate
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 4 shallots, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a small bowl, mix thyme, rosemary, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Place tenderloin on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Brush mustard over roast; sprinkle with herb mixture. Roast 40-45 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Remove roast from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, for chutney, cut pomegranate in half. Working over a small bowl and using a small spoon, separate pomegranate seeds from membranes, placing seeds in bowl and discarding membranes. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add apple and shallots; cook and stir 8-10 minutes or until tender. Add ginger and garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from heat. Add sugar, brandy, vinegar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until slightly thickened. Stir in pomegranate seeds; heat through. Serve with roast.
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked meat with 1/4 cup chutney: 381 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 395mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 2g fiber), 37g protein.
Originally published as Party-Thyme Crusted Tenderloin with Brandied Pomegranate Chutney in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.