Bacon Beef Tenderloin with Cranberry Glaze
I made this for Christmas one year and now people request it for every special event. Omit the jalapeno if you like. —Rebecca Anderson, Driftwood, Texas
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + marinating Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 1 beef tenderloin (5 pounds)
- 2 cups port wine
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 8 slices bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped, optional
- 2 medium oranges
- 2 cups port wine
- 1 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- Pour wine into a large bowl or baking dish; place tenderloin in dish. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight; turn occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Remove beef, discarding marinade. In a small bowl, combine salt, sugar and coffee granules; rub over beef. Cut lengthwise through the center of roast to within 1/2 in. of bottom.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, bacon and, if desired, jalapenos. Fill center of roast with cream cheese mixture. Close roast; tie at 2-in. intervals with kitchen string.
- Place on a rack in a roasting pan. Roast 45-55 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°). Meanwhile, finely grate zest from oranges. Cut oranges crosswise in half; squeeze juice from oranges. In a small saucepan, combine wine, cranberry sauce, orange zest and juice. Bring to a boil; cook 15-20 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.
- Remove roast from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before slicing. Remove string; serve with glaze.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked meat with 3 tablespoons glaze: 540 calories, 20g fat (9g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 1135mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 0 fiber), 43g protein.
Originally published as Hot Mama's Sweet & Smokey Stuffed Beef Tenderloin in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips