Bacon Beef Tenderloin with Cranberry Glaze
I made this for Christmas one year and now people request it for every special event. Omit the jalapeno if you like. —Rebecca Anderson, Driftwood, Texas
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + marinating Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 1 beef tenderloin (5 pounds)
- 2 cups port wine
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 8 slices bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped, optional
- 2 medium oranges
- 2 cups port wine
- 1 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- Pour wine into a large bowl or baking dish; place tenderloin in dish. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight; turn occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Remove beef, discarding marinade. In a small bowl, combine salt, sugar and coffee granules; rub over beef. Cut lengthwise through the center of roast to within 1/2 in. of bottom.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, bacon and, if desired, jalapenos. Fill center of roast with cream cheese mixture. Close roast; tie at 2-in. intervals with kitchen string.
- Place on a rack in a roasting pan. Roast 45-55 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°). Meanwhile, finely grate zest from oranges. Cut oranges crosswise in half; squeeze juice from oranges. In a small saucepan, combine wine, cranberry sauce, orange zest and juice. Bring to a boil; cook 15-20 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.
- Remove roast from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before slicing. Remove string; serve with glaze.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked meat with 3 tablespoons glaze: 540 calories, 20g fat (9g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 1135mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 0 fiber), 43g protein.
Originally published as Hot Mama's Sweet & Smokey Stuffed Beef Tenderloin in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.