Baked Potato Cheddar Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 large potatoes, baked, peeled and coarsely mashed (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions, divided
- Crumbled cooked bacon, optional
- In a large saucepan, whisk flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the potatoes, 1/3 cup cheese, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in sour cream and 1/4 cup onions until blended. Cover; cook over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until heated through (do not boil). Garnish with remaining cheese and onions and, if desired, bacon.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups (calculated without bacon): 392 calories, 15g fat (10g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 469mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 3g fiber), 14g protein.
Jan 8, 2018
This is a tasty base recipe but I made adjustments to add more flavor and suit our tastes. I added 2 chicken boullion cubes and a scoop (about 3 T) of herb spreadable cheese. Definitely recommend serving with bacon and additional cheddar cheese.
Nov 19, 2015
Potato soup is naturally thick but I like the idea of making a roux with coconut oil used for cooking chopped yellow onions instead of a flour and milk mixture. Yellow onions add to the flavor and cooking the roux for about 3 minutes gets rid of the raw flour taste.I also use sharp cheddar and add Parmesan cheese which builds on the cheese flavor. White pepper also disperses better for most foods. : )
Oct 23, 2015
Completely bland. I will not be making this again. Even my husband who will eat anything agreed to just throw out the leftovers.
Oct 5, 2015
Great flavor. I used frozen southern hashbrowns to make this recipe even easier. Will make it again.
Oct 3, 2015
It was wonderful and fast and easy to do awesome??????
Sep 27, 2015
It has better flavor if you add the cheese so it melts and then put in real bacon bits, then before serving sprinkle with onions.
Feb 22, 2015
I have to say I was not pleased with the outcome of this recipe. The consistency was way to thick to call this a soup. I think it would work better if you kept the potatoes cubed instead of coarsely mashing them. We had to add more milk and way more seasoning just to make this edible. Sadly disappointed.
Feb 4, 2015
This was a big hit at our house. The only change I would make is to double the recipe next time for more leftovers!
Jan 18, 2015
I made this and it was well liked. I used less flour in mine.
Nov 14, 2014
after a crazy week , and a bitter cold snap w the first snow of the season I needed this soup!Comfort all the way.....I did add some minced onions to the mashed potatoes( plus the scallions as directed) and 2 tsp. of chicken soup base for flavor & used a cheese mix ...very creamy & comforting!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.