Bacon-Wrapped Scallops with Pineapple Quinoa
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 10 bacon strips
- 16 sea scallops (about 2 pounds), side muscles removed
- 1 cup drained canned pineapple tidbits
- In a small saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Add quinoa, salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, place bacon in a large nonstick skillet. Cook over medium heat, removing eight of the strips when partially cooked but not crisp. Continue cooking remaining strips until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Finely chop crisp bacon strips. Cut remaining bacon strips lengthwise in half.
- Wrap a halved bacon strip around each scallop; secure with a toothpick. Sprinkle with remaining pepper.
- Wipe the pan clean, if necessary; heat over medium-high heat. Add scallops; cook 3-4 minutes on each side or until scallops are firm and opaque.
- Remove quinoa from heat; fluff with a fork. Stir in pineapple and chopped bacon. Serve with scallops.
Editor's NoteLook for quinoa in the cereal, rice or organic food aisle.
Nutrition Facts4 scallops with 3/4 cup quinoa: 468 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 1364mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 48g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 18, 2014
I used bay scallops and just cooked the bacon with the scallops until they carmelized. Added fresh pineapple and little pineapple juice to the quinoa.
Dec 8, 2013
Very Good and easy to make. The pineapple really helps the quinoa. I did find the quinoa I use requires at least 25 minutes cooking time but other than that I really enjoyed it. Nice presentation as well.