Aunt Ruth’s Famous Butterscotch Cheesecake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 65 min. + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup cold 2% milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant butterscotch pudding mix
- 3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, room temperature, lightly beaten
- Whipped cream and crushed butterscotch candies, optional
- Place a greased 9-in. springform pan on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square). Securely wrap foil around pan. In a small bowl, combine cracker crumbs and sugar; stir in butter. Press onto the bottom of prepared pan. Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 325° for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, whisk the milks and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in pudding and vanilla. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Pour over crust. Place springform pan in a large baking pan; add 1 in. of hot water to larger pan.
- Bake at 325° for 65-75 minutes or until center is almost set and top appears dull. Remove springform pan from water bath. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate overnight. Garnish with whipped cream and butterscotch candies if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 473 calories, 30g fat (18g saturated fat), 141mg cholesterol, 460mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 0 fiber), 10g protein.
Mar 20, 2018
Completely absolutely delicious!!! Followed directions exactly since I've never made cheesecake, and it was about the best thing I've ever had. Made for a church function, ALL of it was gone, and it won the dessert contest!!
Jun 3, 2017
I never use a water bath. If the cheesecake cracks a little just put sour cream or whipped cream or fruit over the top to hide it. Don't risk getting water in your cheesecake. Also I use full whole milk, not 2% for a full flavored cheesecake that will set up nice and not be runny.
Feb 8, 2017
This cheesecake was one of the best I've ever made. I thought some water got into it, but it didn't affect it at all. So smooth and creamy! It didn't last long in this house!
Apr 14, 2016
I've made this 4 times now, 3 times as it is and once as a oreo cheesecake (same recipe but vanilla instant pudding instead of butterscotch and a oreo base)All four times it was amazing and others loved it too. One of the times I made it water got through the tinfoil and it didnt set all the way through but it was still really yummy.
Apr 8, 2015
Folks at work and home seemed to think this was the best cheesecake I had ever made. The recipe was awesome!The butterscotch and cream cheese flavors balanced each other very well, with neither being too powerful. I also often have trouble with crusts being too tough, but this crust was perfect.Served with a choice of Cool Whip or Reddi-wip.
Feb 6, 2014
This cheesecake was terrible... I've been making cheesecakes for over 30 years and never had one flop... This one didn't set up properly, but thought we could eat it anyway... the taste was even bad.. will not make again...
Nov 30, 2013
I have some real butterscotch fans in my family, so this was definitely a recipe that caught my eye. It was not hard to make, and it tasted great. I can see lots of fun and likely tasty variations from changing out the flavor of the pudding mix used.
Oct 30, 2013
cheesecake make the day and this one tops the list as yummy the only hard thing about this recipe is the wait while it chills over night.
Oct 25, 2013
This cheesecake helped make me famous among my coworkers and my family. It is the MOST FANTASTIC recipe and it is simple, as well. A double winner in my book! :)
Dec 4, 2012
Never made a cheesecake with sweetened condensed milk or had to put the pan in a water bath so it was a 1st. I made 2 to freeze for the holidays and they turned out great. The only thing I noticed is that the crust crumbled very easy compared to other cheesecakes I've made. Maybe just needs a bit more butter or something. I doubled up on the foil just to be safe water would not leak in and it was great.