When the first asparagus of the season appears, we serve it rolled inside puff pastry with a yummy cheese filling. Our guests always compliment these lovely treats. —Cindy Jamieson, Tonawanda, New York
Featured In: 60 Spring Farmers Market Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon stone-ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, bring 1-1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add asparagus; cook, uncovered, 1-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove asparagus and immediately drop into ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- In a small bowl, mix cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper until blended. Unfold puff pastry sheets; cut each sheet in half to make a total of four rectangles. Spread each rectangle with a fourth of the cream cheese mixture to within 1/4 in. of edges. Arrange asparagus over top, allowing tips to show at each end; roll up jelly-roll style. Using a serrated knife, cut each roll crosswise into four sections.
- Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, seam side down. In a small bowl, whisk egg with water until blended; brush lightly over tops.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack; serve warm. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Asparagus Pastry Puffs in Simple & Delicious February/March 2016