Apple Spice Bundt Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2/3 cup finely chopped peeled tart apple
- BROWN SUGAR GLAZE:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening, sugars and lemon peel until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, nutmeg and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with applesauce, beating well after each addition. Stir in the pecans and apple.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9- or 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a heavy saucepan, melt butter and brown sugar over low heat. Stir in cream. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; whisk in sugar and vanilla until smooth, about 1 minute. Pour over cake; immediately sprinkle with pecans.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 444 calories, 22g fat (8g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 218mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Oct 18, 2014
I followed all the directions as written and my cake turned out bad. I was so disappointed. The flavor was great but the cake texture reminded me of a brownie.
Sep 21, 2014
I HAVEN'T HAD THIS YET, BUT I WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO SEE THE DIFFERENCE BE-TWEEN HAVING FROSTING ON A CAKE , @ COOL WHIP. COOL WHIP HAS LESS CALORIES.IN THE NUTRITION COLUMN. WITHOUT FROSTING ? CALORIES. COULD THAT BE DONE IN THE FUTURE? THANKS . WENTLANDMOM
Jun 23, 2014
I recall making this cake when it had been featured in Taste of Home! I've changed the amount of salt to 1 tsp. rather than 1/4 tsp. for more flavor and for more rising! Obviously I'd written out this recipe so that I could make it! I'd say that this recipe rates as a 5* recipe! I baked the cake 50 to 55 minutes in a greased and floured 10" Bundt cake pan! If I remember correctly, I used milk for the glaze, rather than whipping cream! This recipe which I'd written down is in one of my "Crate 'o Recipes" so that I can prepare it when I want to make an apple cake! I'll say this: Taste of Home and its companion magazines with recipes certainly has a wonderful supply of apple recipes! Laurel Leslie, thank you for sharing this recipe with Taste of Home! delowenstein
Dec 6, 2013
I made this cake to take to a meeting and it was an instant success. Everyone loved it. Not only that but I had to share the recipe with the ladies present. This is an easy cake to make and the glaze just completes it. I highly recommend it as a Volunteer Field Editor for Taste of Home.
Oct 6, 2011
This is a very dense cake. I added raisins and my family loved it. and I made more prailine for the top.
Sep 13, 2010
This is a lovely cake with a moist tender crumb. Next time I'll add a little more chopped apple as we like pieces of fruit in our cakes!
Jul 12, 2009
Sounds good will be trying this tomorrow.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.