Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2/3 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped peeled tart apple
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir half into the creamed mixture. Stir in the apple, walnuts if desired and remaining flour mixture.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 3 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 72 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 69mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 11, 2015
Pretty much just what I expected . Apple-cinnamon deliciousness! I also used butter.
Nov 14, 2011
Were somewhat dry, just add a little more milk. Turned out very soft. Excellent fall snack.
Nov 10, 2011
Even though the cookies turned out really yummy, I had a hard time stirring the dough and found I had to add a bit more.
Nov 3, 2011
Great flavor! YUM!!!
Sep 19, 2011
These cookies are excellent! I used butter instead of the butter-flavored shortening. The cookies came out very soft.
Sep 18, 2011
Mine came out very dry. They fell apart when you picked them up, I thought they could have been a lot more moist.
Sep 4, 2011
I live in apple country and made these last fall. My very picky children loved them. I make them all the time.
Sep 8, 2010
These cookies are awsome!!!! I would add a little more apple to it but other than that it was a huge hit with the family. This is going to be a cookie I'll be making all fall long!
May 12, 2010
I make an awesome apple cake & was looking for an apple cookie. Unfortunately, these cookies are just okay. I think the problem is that the apple pieces (which I cut quite small) do not bake long enough in a cookie. Will not make these again.
Dec 21, 2009
I made these for my family and they loved them! I have been asked to make them again for our Christmas party. They were such a hit.