Ancient Grain Beef Stew
My version of beef stew is comfort food with a healthy twist. I use lentils and red quinoa rather than potatoes. If leftover stew seems too thick, add more beef stock when reheating. —Margaret Roscoe, Keystone Heights, Florida
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup red quinoa, rinsed
- 5 large bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) beef stock
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add beef; brown on all sides. Transfer meat and drippings to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 6-8 hours. Discard bay leaves.
Test Kitchen tips
Editor's NoteLook for quinoa in the cereal, rice or organic food aisle.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 261 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 797mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Ancient Grain Beef Stew in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.