- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter or margarine
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Sliced almonds
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in water; set aside. Combine flour, salt and remaining sugar in a large bowl; cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add egg and cream to yeast mixture. Add to flour mixture; stir to form a stiff dough. Divide in half; cover and refrigerate for 3 hours. In a mixing bowl, beat almond paste, brown sugar and butter until smooth. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough into a 15-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Spread filling down center third of dough to within 1/2 in of edges. Beat egg and water; brush over edges of dough. Fold sides over filling; seal seam and edges. Place seam side down on greased baking sheets. Cut five to six small slits in top. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely. For glaze, combine confectioners' sugar, extract and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over coffee cakes. Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 2 coffee cakes (10-12 serving each).
Reviews forAlmond Danish Coffee Cake
"wait a minute there are steps to mix the almond past, brown sugar etc but those ingredients and amounts are not listed anywhere under ingredients etc."