Almond Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup white baking chips
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 15x9-in. rectangle. Transfer to a lightly greased baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and extract (filling will be soft). Spread down center of rectangle; sprinkle with chips. On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips, about 1/2 in. from filling.
- Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Seal ends. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Brush with milk. Bake 20-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and extract. Stir in enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over coffee cake. Sprinkle with almonds.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 382 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 339mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Jan 10, 2018
I have made this, for many, many years from scratch, using a sweet dough recipe formed into a horseshoe...never thought of of this, glad to have a quickie recipe.
Oct 2, 2013
i am a fanatic about anything almond flavored +this also hits on my love of coffee cakes.
Apr 28, 2013
Feb 1, 2013
This is really over the top. It got a lot of comments when I made it for a brunch. It's just a little different. It takes a little time but it's worth the effort.
May 12, 2009
MY FRIENDS ARE DIABETIC. I AM GOING TO SUBSTITUTE SPLENDA FOR SUGAR, USE FAT FREE MILK AND USE FAT FREE CREAM CHEESE.I WILL LET YOU KNOW RESULTS.
Jan 29, 2009
Haven't made this yet, but I intend to this weekend. It sounds very easy and oh soooo good. Thanks for the recipe.Judy