Almond Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup white baking chips
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 15x9-in. rectangle. Transfer to a lightly greased baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and extract (filling will be soft). Spread down center of rectangle; sprinkle with chips. On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips, about 1/2 in. from filling.
- Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Seal ends. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Brush with milk. Bake 20-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and extract. Stir in enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over coffee cake. Sprinkle with almonds.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 382 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 339mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Jan 10, 2018
I have made this, for many, many years from scratch, using a sweet dough recipe formed into a horseshoe...never thought of of this, glad to have a quickie recipe.
Oct 2, 2013
i am a fanatic about anything almond flavored +this also hits on my love of coffee cakes.
Apr 28, 2013
Feb 1, 2013
This is really over the top. It got a lot of comments when I made it for a brunch. It's just a little different. It takes a little time but it's worth the effort.
May 12, 2009
MY FRIENDS ARE DIABETIC. I AM GOING TO SUBSTITUTE SPLENDA FOR SUGAR, USE FAT FREE MILK AND USE FAT FREE CREAM CHEESE.I WILL LET YOU KNOW RESULTS.
Jan 29, 2009
Haven't made this yet, but I intend to this weekend. It sounds very easy and oh soooo good. Thanks for the recipe.Judy
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.