Air Fryer Shrimp Po’Boys
My husband loves crispy coconut shrimp and po'boys, so I combined them with a spicy remoulade and voila! This air-fryer shrimp is a big hit with family and friends and is frequently requested. For catfish po'boys, substitute cornmeal for the coconut and add a few minutes to the cooking time. —Marla Clark, Albuquerque, New Mexico
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 10 min./batch
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Creole mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped cornichons or dill pickles
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- COCONUT SHRIMP:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp (26-30 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 4 hoagie buns, split
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- For remoulade, in a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Refrigerate, covered, until serving.
- Preheat air fryer to 375°. In a shallow bowl, mix flour, herbes de Provence, sea salt, garlic powder, pepper and cayenne. In a separate shallow bowl, whisk egg, milk and hot pepper sauce. Place coconut in a third shallow bowl. Dip shrimp in flour to coat both sides; shake off excess. Dip in egg mixture, then in coconut, patting to help adhere.
- In batches, arrange shrimp in a single layer in greased air-fryer basket; spritz with cooking spray. Cook until coconut is lightly browned and shrimp turn pink, 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Spread cut side of buns with remoulade. Top with shrimp, lettuce and tomato.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 716 calories, 40g fat (16g saturated fat), 173mg cholesterol, 944mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 4g fiber), 31g protein.
Originally published as Coconut Shrimp Po' Boys with Creole Remoulade in tasteofhome.com
Oct 1, 2019
This was really good. I did a traditional breading because my family does not like coconut. The shrimp turned out really well in the air fryer. I would make this again.