- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces cleaned fresh or frozen calamari (squid), thawed and cut into 1/2-inch rings
- Cooking spray
- Preheat air fryer to 400°. In a shallow bowl, combine flour and salt. In another shallow bowl, whisk egg and milk. In a third shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs, seasoned salt and pepper. Coat calamari with flour mixture, then dip in egg mixture and coat with bread crumb mixture.
- In batches, place calamari in a single layer on greased tray in air-fryer basket; spritz with cooking spray. Cook 4 minutes. Turn; spritz with cooking spray. Cook until golden brown, 3-5 minutes longer.
Air-Fryer Calamari Tips
What is the best way to clean calamari?To clean calamari, first pull the skin off to reveal the white, slightly translucent flesh underneath. Rinse the tube of squid under cold water. For this recipe, slice the tube into 1/2-inch pieces.
What dipping sauce should I serve with air-fryer calamari?The best dipping sauces to pair with calamari are marinara, ranch, chipotle ranch or garlic lemon sauce. Try serving this air-fryer calamari with our Best Marinara Sauce or Ranch-Style Buttermilk Dressing. If you’re looking to use up the rest of your calamari, make our Calamari Salad.
Why is my air-fryer calamari tough?Like some other seafood recipes, calamari turns tough when it is overcooked. The key to keeping it soft is to cook it quickly with high heat.
—Sarah Tramonte, Taste of Home Associate Culinary Producer
Air Fryer Cook TimesIn our testing, we find cook times vary dramatically between brands of air fryers. As a result, we give wider than normal ranges on suggested cook times. Begin checking at the first time listed and adjust as needed.
1 piece: 11 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 28mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.