- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) red beans, rinsed and drained
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the green pepper, onion and celery; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic, cook 1 minute longer.
- Add the water, tomatoes, tomato sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil; stir in rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Stir in beans; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Veg Jambalaya(4)
Sort By :
This recipe was so easy to put together. My husband loves eating rice and is always asking me to make more meals with rice. This was definitely a great change compared to the typical Chinese inspired meals I make.
This was spicier then I expected because it was described as "mild", but I thought it had very good flavor. I used precooked rice and eliminated the water for the last portion.
I made this for vegan and meat eating friends and everyone loved it. In stead of water, I used vegetable broth and it added a little more flavor. We will be using this recipe alot. For those who need meat, it would be very easy to add.
My husband is a vegan (no dairy, no meat, no oil, no nuts) - fixed this dish using veg. broth instead of oil, using frozen green peppers and onions (chopped) for convenience; very tasty. Added a salad and garlic bread for a great meal. Had to cook about 10-12 min. longer for liquid to be absorbed.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Cajun Dinner Recipes >
- Cajun Recipes >
- Cajun Vegetarian Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Mardi Gras Dinner Recipes >
- Mardi Gras Recipes >
- Rice Dinner >
- Rice Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Dinner Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Vegetarian Recipes >