I have such a sweet tooth that I’ve been known to make a dessert just to satisfy my craving. One day when I was in the mood for caramel, I came up with these fun treats. —Clarissa Loyd, Mineral Wells, Texas
- 6 medium Red Delicious apples
- 6 Popsicle sticks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- Pinch baking soda
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios, chopped, divided
- 3 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. Wash and thoroughly dry apples. Insert a Popsicle stick into each; place on prepared pan. Chill.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and water; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Stir in baking soda. Stir in butter until melted; gradually add cream, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 242° (firm-ball stage). Remove from heat and cool to 200°.
- Place 1/4 cup pistachios in a shallow dish. Dip apples into caramel mixture until completely coated, then dip the bottom of each in pistachios. Return to baking sheet; chill.
- In a microwave, melt white chocolate; stir until smooth. Transfer to a small heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Drizzle over apples. Repeat with semisweet chocolate. Sprinkle tops with remaining pistachios if desired. Chill until set. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Ultimate Caramel Apples in Taste of Home August/September 2006, p27
Reviews for Ultimate Caramel Apples
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review