- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sliced fresh strawberries or syrup
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder. In another bowl, lightly beat egg yolks. Add milk, butter and vanilla; mix well. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Serve with strawberries or syrup. Yield: 10 waffles (about 4-1/2 inches).
Reviews for True Belgian Waffles
"This is a GREAT recipe! I add fresh fruit to mine like diced apples and blueberries so the fruit is nice and warm and baked in, all I can say is YUM! I also usually double the recipe so that I have plenty extra, these are excellent to have on hand frozen, just pop each waffle square into the toaster and then you have an EXTREMELY easy yummy breakfast on the go. I cook mine for 5 minutes a little higher than light for ones I'm freezing so that they toast up really nice in the toaster without being over done, and they taste like they just came out of the gridlle, AMAZING!"
"Great hunk of goodness. Made these for my wife and 3 children and the plates are licked clean.I made mine and my childrens' with 1 teaspoon of cookie butter on top, then 2 sliced strawberries, and 1 scoop of vanilla ice cream.My wife's had 1/2 banana and a tablespoon of Nutella on top.I enjoyed trying them plain, but I like to throw some life into my waffles (and crepes) by using recipes as mentioned above. I'd also recommend raspberries with lemon curds and caramelized apples/sauce on top with a scoop of ice cream.YUMMY!!!!"
"Excellent waffles - very tasty and lovely texture, syrup optional! Followed the recipe as written."
"These waffles are great, exactly what I was looking for. I had some self rising flour I needed to use up so I used 2 cups of that with a teaspoon of baking powder. They turned out perfect"
"The Best Belgium waffle recipe ever. My family LOVES these waffles!!!!"