Tangy Sloppy Joes Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, celery, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain.
- Stir in the ketchup, chili sauce, sugars, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Serve on buns. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Tangy Sloppy Joes(4)
Sort By :
I made sloppy joes for years from the Betty Crocker's Cookbook for Boys & Girls recipe, but wanted to get away from using tomato soup. Have been trying many recipes, and my husband really likes this one--he said it has more "zip". So I will make this one now--thanks!
We love this recipe. Even our daughter who doesn't like this type of meal requests these often.
Excellent flavor just the way it is! Didn't have to add or subtract anything.
These were so good! I didn't have any chili sauce on hand, so I substituted it for 4 TB of steak sauce. I really like how the celery gave the sloppy joes an extra crunch! Oh, I also added a binch of cayenne pepper, to give it more zip.