Sweet and Spicy Sloppy Joes
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3 pounds ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cups ketchup
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 hamburger buns, split
- Coleslaw, dill pickle slices, optional
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook turkey in batches until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles, 8-10 minutes per batch. Transfer meat to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. In the same skillet, cook the onion and green pepper until tender, 2-3 minutes. Add garlic, Worcestershire and red pepper flakes; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to slow cooker.
- In a bowl, combine ketchup, water, brown sugar, mustard, salt and pepper; pour over meat. Cover and cook on low until flavors are blended, 4-5 hours. Serve on buns.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 390 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 1206mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 27g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Feb 8, 2020
I've been looking for turkey recipes to replace beef and there is truly nothing missing from this recipe!
Jul 19, 2019
This is a fantastic recipe just the way it is!! Easy, flavorful and goes a long way ??