Quick Tangy Sloppy Joes
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup finely chopped sweet red or green pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, cook beef, onion, red pepper and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are crisp-tender; drain.
- In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, vinegar, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and salt; stir into beef mixture. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve on buns.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 314 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 935mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein.
Dec 8, 2017
i tried these Sloppy Joes and they are the best, very easy to make. So much better than any canned, or even other recipes I have used.
Dec 8, 2017
Very tasty , so much better than canned with very little effort!
Apr 26, 2013
so much better than manwich !!!
Sep 28, 2011
Made it for dinner tonight. Was easy and absolutely delicious!
Jul 29, 2011
perfect just the way it is. My husband isn't that crazy about sloppy joes, but he loved these!
Jul 5, 2011
This was very salty. Did I do something wrong? Next time I will only put 1/2 tsp of salt. I also would add just a bit more surgar, 1 clove minced garlic, and will use red wine vinegar instead of white. I did add about 1 1/4 c sweet baby ray's as well. I will make again, as I like using the ketchup base (I always have ketchup) but feel like I have altered the recipe so much I feel guilty saying it's the same recipe. I think cutting the salt will go a LONG way to make it better.
May 30, 2011
I made it exactly per the recipe and it was delicious. Tangy but not too much - my picky husband liked it too. I will definitely keep this recipe and make again and again!
Feb 8, 2011
only used 1 tsp chili powder and 1 1/2 Tbsp chili sauce. Also added 2 Tbsp bbq sauce. Whole family loved it. Will definately make it again. May add some cheese next time.
Jan 5, 2011
My family declared this the best sloppy joe recipe ever! We also added about 1/4 cup of BBQ sauce to the base recipe. It was so tasty!
Aug 11, 2010
This was so easy and delicious, too! My kids like a little BBQ kick to their sloppy joes, so I threw in a 1/4 c. Sweet Baby Rays as well. Enjoy!