“I’m a vegetarian and wanted to develop some dishes that are a little heartier than traditional vegetarian fare. I created this recipe, and even my 1-year-old loves it!” —Jillian Tournoux, Massillon, Ohio
- 2 cups cubed peeled sweet potato
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (6-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional toppings: sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- In an ovenproof Dutch oven, saute sweet potato and red pepper in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add tomatoes, broth, beans, brown sugar, chili powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°. Prepare corn bread batter according to package directions; stir in cheese. Drop by tablespoonfuls over chili.
- Cover and bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve with toppings of your choice. Yield: 7 servings.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Chili Bake in Simple & Delicious February/March 2011, p63
Reviews for Sweet Potato Chili Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review