Sweet N Sour Beans Recipe
- 8 bacon strips, diced
- 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (28 ounces) baked beans, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with slotted spoon to paper towels. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute onions in the drippings until tender. Add brown sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard and garlic powder. Bring to a boil.
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine beans and peas. Add onion mixture and bacon; mix well. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or until heated through. Yield: 20 servings (1/2 cup each).
Reviews for Sweet N Sour Beans
Sort By :
This recipe is a great "comfort" food. I just made a couple minor variations: I used a bag of frozen chopped onions instead of slicing a whole onion , and a bag of frozen baby lima beans instead of the canned. ( I also skipped the black eyed peas). YUMMY!
I really loved these beans They were fairly easy to make and the recipe makes a lot, this would be great for a gathering!! I used turkey bacon instead of normal bacon (it's what I had on hand) and they were delicious!
This is a great recipe. However, since our family is trying to go plant-based, the bacon was out. Instead I sauteed the onions in 2 tbsp of coconut oil, 1 tbsp braggs liquid aminos (or soy sauce), about 2 tsp garlic, 1/2 tsp paprica and liquid smoke to taste - I guess I prob used a little more than a tbsp. It was still awesome
We love this recipe! I substitute Butter Beans and Black Beans for the Lima Beans and Black-eyed peas. The flavors are great, not too tangy and not too sweet. I've made them many times after the first for family get togethers.
Everyone loves these beans. Every time we go to a family gathering I'm asked to bring these.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bean Recipes >
- Black Eyed Pea Recipes >
- Cajun Recipes >
- Cajun Side Dishes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Mardi Gras Recipes >
- Mardi Gras Side Dishes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Side Dish Recipes >