I love the roasted flavor that grilling gives food, so I decided to make a salsa from grilled vegetables. I think this recipe would also taste great using plum tomatoes. Also, if you can't use wood chip charcoal, you might try adding a little liquid smoke to the salsa while it cooks.—Shelly Bevington, Hermiston, Oregon
- 1 cup soaked mesquite wood chips
- 2 medium onions
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 teaspoons barbecue seasoning, divided
- 2 pounds tomatillos, husks removed (about 12)
- 2 pounds plum tomatoes (about 8)
- 6 jalapeno peppers
- 1-1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Add wood chips to grill according to manufacturer's directions.
- Cut onions in quarters; place in a small bowl. Add garlic and 1-1/2 teaspoons barbecue seasoning; toss to coat. Arrange on grilling grid; place on greased grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat 10-15 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cut tomatillos, tomatoes and jalapenos in half; place in a large bowl. Add remaining barbecue seasoning; toss to coat. Grill in batches, covered, over medium heat 4-6 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally.
- When cool enough to handle, chop vegetables. Transfer to a Dutch oven; stir in vinegar, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until slightly thickened. Immediately stir in cilantro.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into four hot 1-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 15 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 4 pints.
Originally published as Sweet & Smoky Salsa in Country Woman August/September 2014
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Sweet & Smoky Salsa
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review