I love the roasted flavor that grilling gives food, so I decided to make a salsa from grilled vegetables. I think this recipe would also taste great using plum tomatoes. Also, if you can't use wood chip charcoal, you might try adding a little liquid smoke to the salsa while it cooks.—Shelly Bevington, Hermiston, Oregon
- 1 cup soaked mesquite wood chips
- 2 medium onions
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 teaspoons barbecue seasoning, divided
- 2 pounds tomatillos, husks removed (about 12)
- 2 pounds plum tomatoes (about 8)
- 6 jalapeno peppers
- 1-1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Add wood chips to grill according to manufacturer's directions.
- Cut onions in quarters; place in a small bowl. Add garlic and 1-1/2 teaspoons barbecue seasoning; toss to coat. Arrange on grilling grid; place on greased grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat 10-15 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cut tomatillos, tomatoes and jalapenos in half; place in a large bowl. Add remaining barbecue seasoning; toss to coat. Grill in batches, covered, over medium heat 4-6 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally.
- When cool enough to handle, chop vegetables. Transfer to a Dutch oven; stir in vinegar, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until slightly thickened. Immediately stir in cilantro.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into four hot 1-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 15 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 4 pints.
Originally published as Sweet & Smoky Salsa in Country Woman August/September 2014
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Sweet & Smoky Salsa
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 28, 2015
"Very good! Has just enough kick to it."