Ginger enhances these spicy Korean-style pickled veggies. Spoon some on hot dogs for a real treat! —Stephen Exel, Des Moines, Iowa
- 1 head Chinese or napa cabbage, chopped
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 12 radishes, thinly sliced
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 piece peeled fresh gingerroot (1 inch), sliced
- 3 quarts water
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Asian red chili paste
- Place cabbage in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with 1/3 cup salt and toss. Let stand for 30 minutes. Rinse and drain well. In a very large container, combine the cabbage, cucumber, radishes, onions, garlic and ginger.
- In a large bowl, combine the water, vinegar, chili paste and remaining salt; pour over vegetable mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 days before serving, stirring occasionally. May be transferred to small airtight containers and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 10 cups.
Originally published as Summer Kimchi in Fresh Home Summer 2010, p98
Reviews for Summer Kimchi
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review