- 1 head Chinese or napa cabbage, chopped
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 12 radishes, thinly sliced
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 piece peeled fresh gingerroot (1 inch), sliced
- 3 quarts water
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Asian red chili paste
- Place cabbage in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with 1/3 cup salt and toss. Let stand for 30 minutes. Rinse and drain well. In a very large container, combine the cabbage, cucumber, radishes, onions, garlic and ginger.
- In a large bowl, combine the water, vinegar, chili paste and remaining salt; pour over vegetable mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 days before serving, stirring occasionally. May be transferred to small airtight containers and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 10 cups.
Reviews for Summer Kimchi
Sort By :
I just made this so I'm not quite ready to rate it. I do have one question, though. The recipe says to use 3 quarts of water. Other recipes I have seen say to cover the cabbage mixture with water. That would take about 3 CUPS, or no more than one quart. It seems to me that the veggies would be swimming in that much water and that the flavor would be very diluted. I'll let you know how it tastes in a few days.