- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Paprika, optional
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened.
- Stir in cheese until melted. Drain macaroni; add to cheese sauce and stir to coat. If desired, sprinkle with paprika. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese
"My daughter loves this mac and cheese. It is important to let the flour cook in the butter for a few minutes to get rid of the "raw flour" taste and also be sure to use a good quality cheese. Good stuff, thanks for the recipe."
"I made this exactly as directed, but it had a gritty texture (too much flour?), and was rather bland. It looked good (and even looked like the photo), but I wouldn't make it again."
"one of husbands favorites"
"Too much flour. Ok for kids I guess but adults should expect more. And what ever became of Longhorn cheese?"
"This will not be made at our house again!! I wanted to make it into a meal so I added broccoli and ham cubes into the Macaroni and Cheese. I made it exactly as written but it was completely tasteless and super pasty and thick. The broccoli and ham were the only things with any flavor. We ended up throwing it in the garbage after dinner. It was nothing like the picture and was highly disappointing!!"
"Boxed mac and cheese dinners are easier and have about as much taste."
"There was absolutely no flavor to this recipe. Too much flour taste. Not recommended."
"I really like this recipes, it's quick, easy, and tastes so good... too good. I plan on making this again, maybe with swiss, or pepperjack cheese!"
"It was different but I prefer the baked version. I will make this again for a quick side dish."