Company Mac and Cheese
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat; add cheeses, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth. Drain macaroni; add to cheese sauce and stir to coat.
- Transfer to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs and parsley. Sprinkle over macaroni. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 453 calories, 30g fat (19g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 623mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 15g protein.
Aug 10, 2019
IT WAS DELICIOUS. THANKS SO MUCH. I like a little spice, so I added some jalapeno jar peppers plus, parmesan/Romano cheese to the sauce. Also, I added some salt and garlic powder to the breadcrumbs, and topped the breadcrumbs off with a little parmesan cheese. Awesome!
Jan 7, 2019
Nice. I could maybe use a full Tablespoon of the brown mustard. I didn't have whole milk so used 1 cup chicken broth and one cup cream. Sub'd with the cheese we have on hand which is mexican blend. I would recommend only 1/2 cup bread crumbs and increasing noodles to maybe 10 ounces.
Apr 19, 2018
This was not good or at least my idea of Mac and Cheese. The cream cheese along with the flour butter, made it like paste. I added more and more milk to get the consistency thinner, but to no use. I literally threw it out. The raccoons liked it!
Apr 13, 2018
My family loves this Mac and cheese. We may not always use elbow macaroni and we always use panko instead of bread crumbs for a crisper top, but otherwise it stays pretty much the same. Never any leftovers.
Feb 17, 2018
Quick to fix and my grandsons (8 & 10) really liked it.
Jan 30, 2018
I use Hickory smoked Gruyere in place of the cheddar and add shredded extra sharp cheddar to the top instead of bread crumbs. After the 15-20 minutes in the oven i stick it under broil on Hi for 3-4 min just to brown and crisp the top layer of cheese a bit. It comes out incredible.
Nov 21, 2017
This mac and cheese is INSANELY good! I did change some stuff though. I melted all of the butter and whisked it with rice flour instead of all purpose, then added the milk in and heated it until it was thick. After the milk was thickened, I put cream cheese and pepperjack cheese in until melted. I used rice pasta, and I made 16 ounces of it to mix in with the sauce. Literally the BEST mac and cheese I have ever tasted. Instead of salting the sauce, I put a bunch of salt in the water for boiling the pasta. I didn't even need to add extra salt to the sauce. YUM!!!
Jun 26, 2017
This mac and cheese is soo creamy and good. Perfect comfort food!!
Apr 17, 2017
It was very creamy but bland. I added garlic salt and extra cheddar to help give it more flavour. Next time I will add Old or Sharp cheddar and cut back on the cream cheese.
Feb 3, 2017
This is one of my favorite macaroni & cheese recipes, always so creamy.