- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 4 medium red potatoes, cut into eighths
- 1 yellow summer squash, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups salad croutons
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first eight ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in the chicken, beans and barley. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables and barley are tender. Add tomatoes; heat through. Serve with croutons and cheese. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Stone Soup
Sort By :
Very good soup, we really enjoyed it.
to the giving tree: I loved that they put this recipe up, I remember reading this book in kindergarten and our teacher let us help her make the stone soup, and it was delicious. we actually cleaned off a big stone and put it in the soup!! i recently picked up the book and the author is Marcia Brown. Now that i'm a mom, I'll be reading this book to my son and we'll make the soup together :)
I love this idea! Could you tell me the author of the book?