- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of pie dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim; flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Leave remaining pie dough refrigerated.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Combine blueberries, sugar, tapioca, lemon juice and salt; toss gently. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Add filling to pie pastry; dot with butter. Bake 20 minutes on a lower oven rack. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 10 minutes more. Cover edges loosely with foil to prevent burning. Return to lower rack of oven; bake 15-20 minutes longer, until blueberries are bubbly and beginning to burst. Cool on a wire rack.
- Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Cut out stars using different-sized cookie cutters as desired. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° until golden brown, 5-10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Place stars over cooled pie in any pattern desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Star-Studded Blueberry Pie
"Made this with frozen black raspberries - the "crust stars" on top are very festive - pie was a HIT!"
"This was so delicious! I don't usually like blueberrys but I really liked this recipie. My family enjoyed it so much that we finished it all that night."
"I am going to make this for my family but I have one question. What is Pastry for double-crust pie? Help me please!"
"I have not made this but it sounds great. Iwould like to know if you let the frozenberry thaw out before using then ."