- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3/4 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 4 medium onions, finely chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, sausage, onions and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, oil and seasonings.
Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. Discard bay leaves. Serve with spaghetti.
Freeze option: Cool before placing in a freezer container. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months.Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a large saucepan; heat through, stirring occasionally. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Stamp-of-Approval Spaghetti Sauce
"excellent recipe!! My grandkids love it! It makes plenty to freeze also. Have made it several times and always enjoyed!"
"This was very good! You need to taste half way through. I wound up adding 2 T of Italian seasoning."
"I swap out the canola oil, for olive oil and the plain canned tomatoes with fire roasted. I also add red pepper flakes, because we like it a bit spicy. It is great as is though! I have made it both ways!"
"Very good sauce. I cut the recipe in half and put it in a 3-quart slow cooker for about 6 hours. Came out great!"
"Sounds so good. If I were to change anything about it, I would add some sliced button mushrooms."
"This recipe is the best!!! My husband said to throw out all my other recipes. This one can't be beat!!!!!!"
"Canola oil is a GMO product. Use instead organic extra virgin olive oil."
"For my taste, I would make this w/out the sausage and all hamburger, To: shereeder: To CAN this I would eliminate the meat. Meat can be added as you make each meal. I have done this In the past w/another sauce recipe. Hope this helps."
"Any recipe that cooks this long doesn't need the sugar to offset the acidic tomato taste. The slow cooking with the meat and other spices eliminates that problem. Even a two or three hour simmer will do the same."
"Is this recipe possible to can? I have one that I use for canning every year. Just curious as I don't have a lot of freezer space."