- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- In a small bowl, combine cocoa and water; set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with cocoa mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For ganache, place chocolate in a small bowl. In a small heavy saucepan over low heat, bring cream and sugar to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk gently until smooth. Refrigerate for 35-45 minutes or until ganache begins to thicken, stirring occasionally.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar, cocoa, milk and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1 cup frosting. Top with second layer and 1 cup ganache; sprinkle with 1/2 cup almonds. Top with third layer; frost top and sides of cake. Warm ganache until pourable; pour over cake, allowing some to drape down the sides. Sprinkle with remaining almonds. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Special-Occasion Chocolate Cake
"This cake is good, don't get me wrong. The problem with it is how much work it is to make! With the cake, the ganache and the frosting, it was just too much work for a just 'ok' cake. In all honesty I feel like you could just buy a boxed cake and frosting and have something about the same as this without the ganache that I didn't find to be all that impressive. I would make an easier lower calorie cake for a special occasion and save my time!"
"This is my go to recipe for cakes at work now. everyones loves it."
"Very tasty and not very difficult to make. Looks fabulous - tall and impressive looking as well as a mouthful of rich chocolate. The actual icing was really great - I usually do not like powdered sugar icings. I was told by a bakery to make sure to always beat those icings longer than you would think."
"Yes, as someone else mentioned this does take a long time to make, but the end results were worth every minute! I made it for a special birthday, and everyone loved it! It is a delicious cake and makes quite an awesome presentation. I used pecans in place of the almonds. I would definitely make again!"
"I totally agree that it was inappropriate for vinca to give a durogatory rating - so excited to know she is concerned about her health - really didnt need to know this. I on the other hand have actually made this cake, and am a very healthy person - this cake is wonderful! I would recommend it for any occasion - a recipe for the keep file."