Southwestern Chicken Black Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups fresh corn or frozen corn
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 16 baked tortilla chip scoops, crumbled
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, saute chicken in oil until no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. In the same pan, saute onion and jalapeno pepper until tender. Add garlic and saute; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the broth, corn, beans, lime juice, salt, hot pepper sauce, pepper and reserved chicken; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro. Top each serving with crumbled tortilla chips and cheese. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Southwestern Chicken Black Bean Soup
Sort By :
I added a little Tabasco to give a little more kick
Yum! What a declicious, easy soup! I used 3 cans of broth and added a can of diced tomatoes with jalepenos. The result was a perfect texture and combination of flavors!
This recipe was great and the whole family loved it!
Excellent! I didn't have a jalapeno pepper but it tasted great without it! A definite keeper of a recipe!