- 4 bone-in chicken thighs (1-1/2 pounds), skin removed
- 2 cups frozen lima beans
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- Place the first five ingredients in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and dry seasonings; pour over top.
- Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken from slow cooker. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Shred meat with two forks; return to slow cooker and heat through. If desired, sprinkle with cilantro. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Southwestern Chicken & Lima Bean Stew
"I really liked the sound of this - expected to really like it due to all the flavors. But, it was a little too bland for me. And I did taste it as I cooked and added some extra spices. but just didn't quite come together for me."
"I made it exactly as the recipe stated I expected it to be very tasty, but it was very bland."
"I didn't realLy care for the flavors in this at all. I am surprised - I really expected to love it. Also, the Worcestershire sauce spoiled the bright red color of the tomatoes. It was more of a muddy red and didn't look as appetizing as your photo. I'm going to freeze it because I don't have the heart to waste it, but I know it's not going to get eaten."
"This was so delicious. My husband and I loved it. So easy to make and worth the wait!"
"I had never used fire roasted tomatoes before. This dish was delicious. The flavor was exceptional and it was a hearty stew. I'll pass this recipe on to my daughter."
"Slow cookers, raw chicken, long holding time between 45 and 165 degrees all work together to spell potentially sick people. Think food safety please."
"This was delicious and has amazing flavor. It makes a lot for just a family of 3 so I froze the leftovers and it freezes great!"
"This was pretty good. It sort of reminded me of a Brunswick stew."
"This recipe is so much easier and convenient to prepare with boneless, skinless chicken thighs.No need to shred the meat and return to the slow cooker. I just use one large chicken thigh per person. My husband likes lima beans so was pleased to come across this recipe.I have also used boneless, skinless chicken breasts as well."
"This is really a very tasty recipe! I followed the recipe and only changed the green pepper to a red pepper as that was what I had on hand. The aromas were great and the only thing we found was that it did need additional salt. Next time I make it I'll salt the chicken as well as adding additional salt to the vegetables. I served it with shredded Monterey Jack and crumbled cotija cheese along with the cilantro and we had garlic cheese bread (also using the Jack cheese) with it. I love to add fresh squeezed lemon to Southwestern dishes and I added it to mine and it was delicious! Thank you for a great recipe!"