Southwestern Chicken & Lima Bean Stew Recipe
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs (1-1/2 pounds), skin removed
- 2 cups frozen lima beans
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- Place the first five ingredients in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and dry seasonings; pour over top.
- Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken from slow cooker. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Shred meat with two forks; return to slow cooker and heat through. If desired, sprinkle with cilantro. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Southwestern Chicken & Lima Bean Stew
Sort By :
"This was delicious and has amazing flavor. It makes a lot for just a family of 3 so I froze the leftovers and it freezes great!"
"This was pretty good. It sort of reminded me of a Brunswick stew."
"This recipe is so much easier and convenient to prepare with boneless, skinless chicken thighs.No need to shred the meat and return to the slow cooker. I just use one large chicken thigh per person. My husband likes lima beans so was pleased to come across this recipe.I have also used boneless, skinless chicken breasts as well."
"This is really a very tasty recipe! I followed the recipe and only changed the green pepper to a red pepper as that was what I had on hand. The aromas were great and the only thing we found was that it did need additional salt. Next time I make it I'll salt the chicken as well as adding additional salt to the vegetables. I served it with shredded Monterey Jack and crumbled cotija cheese along with the cilantro and we had garlic cheese bread (also using the Jack cheese) with it. I love to add fresh squeezed lemon to Southwestern dishes and I added it to mine and it was delicious! Thank you for a great recipe!"
"This was fantastic! I did make a few changes based on what I had available: I used the meat from a store-bought, cooked, rotisserie chicken, and I used 2 cans of beans (kidney beans and great northern beans, rinsed and drained) in place of the lima beans. I also did a quick stir-fry in a little olive oil on the onion, pepper and garlic before mixing them in. I used all other ingredients and spices as called for in the recipe. Because the chicken was already cooked, I just heated this through on the stovetop in a large pot instead of using the slow cooker. The FLAVORS are fantastic and it turned out great. I will definitely make this again."