- 1-1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) Ranch Style beans (pinto beans in seasoned tomato sauce)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the rice, beans, broth, tomato sauce, chili powder, salt, cumin and pepper; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for Southwest Beef & Rice Skillet
"This was a big hit in my house. I used precooked brown rice (frozen and microwaved before adding), left out the salt and used small red beans in place of the Ranch Style beans. There were no leftovers, so I guess that means it's a winner!"
"Yum! My husband and kids loved this! I switched to regular cheese for the kids."
"Loved it but made a few changes to turn down the heat: used reg. rice, cooked it then added it. couldn't find the beans so used reg. pinto beans & added another 1/2 c. tomato sauce to compensate. Used only 1/2 tsp chili powder & 1/2 an onion. Also used 4 cheese blend Mexican lowfat cheese. It was still terrific."
"Easy and fast meal. The Pepper Jack cheese adds a nice spice. I used brown rice adding it uncooked with an additional 1/2 c. of beef broth and cooked mixture until the rice was done. I served it with corn and tortilla chips. My husband loved it, adding sour cream and lettuce."
"I needed a quick meal for a lot of people using things I had on hand. I doubled this recipe and put in a crock pot. They really liked it!"
"This was okay... Might be better to use salsa in this rather than tomato sauce..."
"Was a fast and easy meal. I would make Texas Skillet before I would make this again."
"The weaker palates in the family used cheddar rather than pepper jack as it was definitely spicy! love it!"
"My guys really liked this one. It was quick and easy to prepare. Flour tortillas and taco chips were a great accent along with sour cream. I did have a hard time finding the Ranch style beans though."
"We substituted brown instant rice and balck beans and used far less cheese than called for. Yummy and filling."