Southern Pecan Candy Recipe
- 1 teaspoon butter plus 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound chopped pecans, toasted
- Line a 13-in. x 9-in. pan with foil and grease the foil with 1 teaspoon butter; set aside. In a large heavy skillet over medium-low heat, cook 1 cup sugar until melted. Do not stir. Reduce heat to low; cook for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a large saucepan, combine cream and remaining sugar. Slowly pour in cooked sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 236° (soft-ball stage). Transfer to a large bowl; stir in butter and baking soda. Cool until mixture reaches 110°.
- Add vanilla. Beat until smooth and thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in pecans. Quickly spread into prepared pan; cool completely. Using foil, lift candy out of pan. Discard foil. Store candy in an airtight container. Yield: about 2 pounds.
Originally published as Southern Pecan Candy in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2011, p161
Reviews for Southern Pecan Candy
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review