This traditional, thick pasta sauce is a cinch to prepare. It has a pleasantly mild flavor and goes with any kind of cooked pasta. If you like, use ground turkey or chicken instead of the beef.—Cathy Johnson, Somerset, Pennsylvania
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2-1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 bay leaves
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the tomato sauce, tomato juice, tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, seasonings and beef mixture.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until heated through. Discard bay leaves. Serve with spaghetti; sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield: about 2-1/4 quarts.
Originally published as So-Easy Spaghetti Sauce in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2009, p27
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for So-Easy Spaghetti Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review